The most modern cloud infrastructures are required
Working on topics such as IoT, data science, or machine learning requires the use of the most modern cloud infrastructures. As a software developer and interface between technology and business in the area of air system management, Bastian Knolle has the task of controlling such IoT projects, procuring suitable resources – while keeping an eye on the project budget – and reporting directly to the department heads. “In my role as the central point of contact for the Powertrain & Power Engineering division, my personal goal is to set up a cloud environment based on Kubernetes in order to map a wide variety of projects.”
For Bastian Knolle, predictability is a crucial point. “As in every department, we are faced with the challenge of keeping deadlines and budgets, true to our customer orientation, despite project pressure.” Therefore, at the end of 2019, he turned to the IAV subsidiary CPU 24/7 with his cloud issues. With the Engineering Web Services business area, CPU 24/7 has specialized in providing the necessary infrastructure and platform services for IoT projects.
A cloud solution should be flexible, fast, standardized and economical.
For Bastian Knolle it is clear: “Flexible, fast, standardized and economical – these are the required properties of a modern cloud solution with innovative technologies.” For this reason, CPU 24/7 worked closely with Bastian Knolle from the start and checked several preliminary considerations for both the technical and the functional limits of the requested cloud solution. “When implementing such cloud projects, technical and solution-oriented competence at eye level is the decisive factor. And here CPU 24/7 absolutely speaks my language.”
Basic contractual and technical requirements were:
- Setup and operation of a managed virtual machine and a managed Kubernetes cluster as standardized and automated cloud infrastructure services including firewalling with a term of 24 months.
- The services must be securely accessible both from the IAV company network and externally via various end devices.
- The provision should be competent, fast, and agile within a few days – in order to meet the requirements in terms of time and quality.
- The availability of personal and competent contact persons should be regulated with clear competencies and responsibilities.
Within a few hours, the Engineering Web Services team from CPU 24/7 provided
- a customized managed Kubernetes cluster,
- a managed virtual machine for monitoring and configuring Kubernetes,
- a managed Docker host as well as
- a highly secure firewall solution ready for this setup.
Furthermore, the IAV team received a container registry, which is essential for a Kubernetes cluster, as container images must be available on all worker nodes.
The advantages at a glance
- Lean and customer-oriented offer and order processes guarantee a faster and more agile provision of cloud solutions based on the most modern infrastructures.
- In addition to the technical solution, the experts at CPU 24/7 also offer extensive advice.
- With CPU 24/7 as a service provider, there is an obligatory contractual basis (e.g. SLAs, offers, clear service descriptions) which ensure transparency concerning the delivery item, quality, and price.
Bastian Knolle sums up: “When it comes to speed and agility in the provision of innovative and well-thought-out cloud services, CPU 24/7 is a competent and reliable partner with clear goal orientation and implementation strength. A solution environment tailored to my requirements was set up within four hours – that was very impressive. The cooperation with CPU 24/7 also makes my work within the department more predictable about meeting deadlines and quality assurance of the delivery items.”
The systems used were used, among other things in the federally funded project mobileView, which uses parts of the CPU 24/7 infrastructure to provide real-time weather maps. ||||
About IAV GmbH
With more than 8,000 employees, IAV is one of the world’s leading engineering partners to the automotive industry. The company has been developing innovative concepts and technologies for future vehicles for over 35 years and achieved sales of more than 1 billion euros in 2019. Customers include all well-known automobile manufacturers and suppliers worldwide. In addition to vehicle and drive development, IAV got involved in electromobility and autonomous driving at an early stage and is now one of the leading development service providers in these areas. Besides, IAV is successfully transferring its automotive engineering know-how to new business areas and markets. In addition to the development centers in Berlin, Gifhorn and Chemnitz / Stollberg, IAV has other locations including in Munich, Sindelfingen and Ingolstadt as well as in Europe, Asia and North and South America. www.iav.com
© 2020 CPU 24/7 GmbH. All Rights Reserved